Universities in Berlin, Germany

Berlin is the largest city in Germany and the second largest in Europe. The capital city of Germany is home to a massive student population. 15% of enrolled students in Berlin are international students.

Why Study at Universities in Berlin, Germany?

About 40 colleges and universities in Berlin offer a wide range of Bachelors’ and Masters’ degree programmes. The Humboldt University of Berlin, the Free University of Berlin, and the Technical University of Berlin are the three largest institutes of Berlin, each having around 30,000 students. Several new private universities have also been founded in the recent past, some of which have earned a reputation for providing excellent academic standards. Two such institutes include the European School of Management and Technology and the Hertie School of Governance.

While the cost of living in Berlin is relatively high, it’s significantly cheaper than many other large European cities. At the same time, you do not need to pay tuition fees at the public universities for most bachelor’s and master’s degree courses, which makes Berlin a great academic destination for international students. The vibrant culture of Berlin and the entertainment offerings add to the great quality of life of the students.

Eligibility Criteria

Typically, once you select a study programme of your choice, you will be given all the upcoming requirements. Once you have chosen the programme, you must meet the university’s eligibility criteria to gain admission. These include a recognised higher education entrance qualification document. International students, specifically non-EU countries, may also need to pass an aptitude test called TestAS.

For applying to the universities, you will need a completed application form, attested copy of your high school certificate, academic transcripts, passport photos, a copy of your passport, translated synopsis of your courses and grades, and proof of language proficiency.

German language proficiency is mandatory if your courses are entirely in German. For this, you need to provide proof of German language proficiency like TestDaF or Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH). If the courses are in English and you are not a native English speaker, you need to provide English language proficiency scores from TOEFL or IELTS.

Apart from the general requirements, a student visa, health insurance, and documents of financial means are mandatory for all students.

Leave a Comment